Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Cabin privilege

Fourth of July is coming and I’m eager to be heading to my brother and sister-in-law’s cabin. It is a tradition for our family to head over to Wisconsin and enjoy time together with friends and family, while having fun fishing and boating. It’s the highlight of our daughter’s year.

Working in Kinship I’ve become painfully aware that many of the wonderful experiences that I’ve been privileged to enjoy are not things which many kids from disadvantaged circumstances even dare to dream… owning a home, going to college, traveling overseas, the list goes on.

I was reminded about how Kinship can help kids build dream when I heard a story about one of our relationships from years back. A Kinship mentor had a knock on her door from a mom with a young girl in tow. Turns out the mom was the girl she and her husband had mentored years ago, and had just stopped by to give an update on her progress. She told about how when she went to visit her Kinship friends all those years ago she began to dream about owning a home of her own one day. Then she proudly proclaimed, just yesterday, my husband and I closed on a house. Her dream had been realized.

Living in one of the world’s most resourceful nations many of us have had a great deal of privilege. It’s our great duty and opportunity to share that privilege with others who have not had the same kinds of opportunities and encouragement. And who knows, someday we too might have a knock at the door by someone who was blessed by our friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment