Thursday, July 2, 2009

Guns on the Northside

Thursdays I deliver meals on wheels in North Minneapolis. It's a great opportunity for me to put my faith into action on behalf of others. Today while wishing Ora a happy fourth of July I inquired if she was going to see fireworks. She said they already get fireworks in her neighborhood, just across from North High School, but they just don't have the lights. Sadly, gunfire is not uncommon.

A couple of stops later I delivered meals to a stooped Cicero. He comment on how I was dressed nicely. Then he surprised me by noting that I wasn't carrying a gun. I thanked him and wished him a wonderful fourth of July.

This holiday I'm looking forward to fireworks over a lake, the kind with the lights that go with them. I will be reminded however of Ora and Cicero, hoping and trusting that they too will enjoy the fourth.

To learn about volunteering with North Minneapolis Meals on Wheels, visit their website to learn more, http://www.nmmow.org/about.

No comments:

Post a Comment