Thursday, July 9, 2009

A small taste of single parenting

My wife went out of town for a couple of weeks to visit family. This leaves me with my full-time job and parenting responsibilities for our 14 year old daughter. Thankfully our daughter is responsible and capable of taking care of herself during the day.

During this time as a single parent my discretionary time simply disappeared. It has been difficult to find time to take care of the lawn and garden, read the newspaper, check in with friends and family, wash the car, or even walk the dog. I must also confess that our meals haven’t been quite as well balanced as before.

I’m reminded that my small inconvenience pales in comparison to the additional challenges of single parenting when there are financial stressors, young children, neighborhood safety concerns, or perhaps unreliable/no transportation.

For those who are in a position to reach out, I would invite you to consider how you might do something to support a single parent family. Kinship of Greater Minneapolis has 125 kids, ages 5-15, on our waiting list, all eager to have Kinship friends. http://www.kinship.org/.

One of the great things about volunteering is that by giving you also receive, often more than you’re able to give. It is an awesome feeling to know that you can significantly impact the life of a child and his/her family by simply sharing your time and interests. I know that the single parents, who are often doing a heroic job, would greatly appreciate your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment